The below provides a general overview on this topic and may not apply to everyone. Any treatment protocol should be discussed with a qualified healthcare practitioner ... Please refer to: Medical & Legal Disclaimer.
These detox packs - placed over the flank / kidney area - is said to help detox the body.
- Ginger pack - Fresh ginger root is grated (@ 1/2 lb) - enough to cover a 4x4 area and wrap up in a cotton sheet/pillow case. This pack is placed over the flank / kidney areas. It can get hot. Patients usually wear it for 2-3 hours. If it gets too warm, they take it off until they cooled down.
- Vitamin C is a surprisingly good chelator. Researchers from the University of California, San Francisco looked at blood levels of lead and ascorbic acid and found that those with the highest levels of ascorbic acid were 89 and 65 percent, respectively, less likely to have elevated blood lead levels.
- Phytic acid - found in the hulls of fiber-rich nuts, seeds and grains - removes toxins from the intestinal tract.
- Garlic and cilantro are also natural chelators.
- Practitioners always recommended that we drink plenty of water to help flush out the toxins.
Detoxifying Foot Pads - Do They Work?:
Reporter Sarah Varney and her husband bought some Kinoki foot pads and wore them to bed. The next morning, the pads were covered in the tell-tale brown "gunk" that was said to be the toxic waste drawn out of their bodies. The foot pads were analyzed in a lab and compared with unused pads. They found that the used pads were almost identical to the unused ones. Further tests found that the pads turned brown when the pads were held over a pot of boiling water or when exposed to distilled water.
In April 2008. ABC's "20/20" investigated Kinoki ad Avon pads and reported:
- When used overnight, the pads darkened, but dropping distilled water on the pads produced the same dark color.
- Laboratory analysis of pads used by eight volunteers showed no significant evidence of heavy metals or commonly used solvents.
- When asked for tests that would show that their products really work the companies offered no valid scientific studies.
Why does the foot pad turn brown? The foot pad is white on the outside, but inside it contains a mix of green tea and vinegar (a brown powder). As the foot pad gets wet, the brown shows through. Per the instructions, you attach the pad to your foot with unbreathable adhesive. This will cause your feet to sweat during the night, thus wetting the brown powder. Dr. Devra Davis, director of the Center for Environmental Oncology at the University of Pittsburgh and an expert on toxins, suspects the blackness and odor are the result of the ingredients interacting with oxygen, heat or moisture.
Epson salt will flush toxins and heavy metals from the body. Taken internally, Epson Salt acts as a detoxifying agent for colon cleansing. The magnesium sulfate is absorbed through the skin, such as in a bath, it draws toxins from the body, soothese the nerves, reduces swelling, relaxes muscles, is a natural emollient and exfoliator. Following are several recipes:
- 1 cup epsom salt, 1 handful sea salt, 2 tablespoons bath oil;
- Equal parts epsom salt, baking powder and ginger powder. The ginger opens up pores and promotes sweating (thereby ridding the body of toxins). *Note: Ginger can decrease blood clotting and should not be taken by people with bleeding disorders. The epsom salt has purifying properties
- Simply soak in warm water and 2 cups of epsom salt.
- If available, add some melted cocoa butter for extra moisturizing -- but watch out; it will make the tub very slippery.
- Rejuvenating Detoxifying Bath: Use about 2 quarts 3% hydrogen peroxide to a tub of warm water. Soak at least 1/2 hour, adding hot water as needed to maintain a comfortable water temperature.
lkalizes and detoxifies the body, especially the liver, and it contains an anti-fungal agent. It is an excellent appetite stimulant and overall tonic and an excellent source of chlorophyll and vitamins. Sprinkle it over your birds' soft food a couple of times a week.
Among its uses are tonic, stimulant, liver regenerator, and control of cholesterol. Used in massage oils and baths as it is considered an excellent blood purifier due to its detoxifying effect on the liver. It is used to treat jaundice and other liver disorders.
Liquid Chlorophyll is another excellent detoxifier and antiseptic for the internal organs, especially the digestive tract and bloodstream. Use it internally for any illness, especially a digestive problem -- 1/2 tsp. three times a day. It combines very well with aloe vera. Liquid chlorophyll is also used by holistic vets to balance blood sugar levels in some pets with diabetes or chronic hypoglycemia. (discuss with your holistic medical professional).
Dandelion Root or MilkThistle in Lactulose
- For detoxification and stimulation of liver; improves circulation, restores gastric balance after vomiting.
- Mix 5 drops in 1/2 oz lactulose: 1 drop per 100 g BW PO q12h
Rejuvenating Detoxifying Bath:
Use about 2 quarts 3% hydrogen peroxide to a tub of warm water. Soak at least 1/2 hour, adding hot water as needed to maintain a comfortable water temperature.
"Kelp has no known toxicity. [In fact, it is effective in treating aluminum toxicity! Kelp has a balanced mineral content and acts as a detoxifier of excess metals. (vitawise.com)
Regarding Potential Kelp Toxicity: The degraded carrageenan, derived from two red seaweed's (Irish moss), has been implicated in causing colonic lesions in rats, but none of the brown seaweeds or their derivatives have been found to be carcinogenic. Even Irish Moss, if ingested in whole, i.e, non-degraded, form is perfectly safe, since it is non-absorbable.
Some kelp species are known for their relatively high arsenic content; however, extensive testing has found the arsenic, although certainly present, is in biologically unavailable form.
Recently, four men were fed different kinds of seaweed in order to monitor the urinary excretion of arsenic. For kelp, 100 % of the ingested arsenic was excreted in the urine within 60 hours, providing further evidence for the biological inertness of arsenic in seaweed. Thus brown seaweed appears to be neither carcinogenic nor toxic."
Herbs that are conducive to maintaining liver health and even reversing existing liver problems are:
Aloe, Milk Thistle, Psillium Husk Powder, Dandelions and others.
Dr. Starbuck's* most relaxing, effective and detoxifying treats is hydrotherapy. She explains that alternating hot and cold tones the body and stimulates blood and oxygen flow. Dr. Starbuck says that intense heat eliminates toxins through the skin, after which a brief plunge in cold water tightens pores, stimulating and invigorating both your skin and your mood. (Caution: This is not recommended for pregnant women or people with vascular problems such as hypertension.) This effect can easily be created in your own home. Just follow up a hot bath or shower with a 30-second cold rinse. This closes pores and brings refreshment and blood flow to skin.
(Jamison Starbuck, ND is a naturopathic physician in family practice and a lecturer at the University of Montana, both in Missoula)
Information contained on this website is provided as general advice only and does not replace the recommendation of a medical professional. Before beginning any treatment protocol, please consult with your doctor.
GreenAndHealthy.Info strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information; however, mistakes do happen. If you would like to correct or update any of the information, please send us an e-mail. THANK YOU!