Thrush / Yeast Infections / Candida
The below provides a general overview on this topic and may not apply to everyone. Any treatment protocol should be discussed with a qualified healthcare practitioner ... Please refer to: Medical & Legal Disclaimer.
Recurring thrush - also known as Candida or Yeast (fungal) infections has become a modern-day epidemic - up to 1 in 3 people suffer from it at any one time. While most people understand that Candida lives in (and on) the human body normally, eating the wrong foods or certain drugs send everything out of balance.
- Starchy food / bakery goods, some fruits, cheeses, baking goods, and sweets provide a perfect environment for yeasts to flourish.
- Please visit this webpage for information on foods to eat and which ones to avoid.
- Also frequently caused by antibiotics overuse, steroids like prednisone, birth control pills, or other forms of estrogen.
Associated Symptoms / Conditions:
- Neurological: headaches, migraines, moodiness, fatigue, memory problems / "brain fog"
- Gastro-intestinal: nausea, bloating, diarrhea, flatulence
- Metabolic: cravings, weight gain, fluid retention and hormone imbalances
- Immune system problems: you catch colds and viruses, suffer from mouth ulcers and of course, recurring thrush, tinea or other fungal infections.
- Yeast infection can also appear as genital thrush, jock itch, tinea, ringworm or as skin, nail or mouth infections.
- Even bladder control problems are linked to yeast infections
Also refer to: A Guide to All Symptoms of Yeast Infections
The "Yeast Infections & Obesity" Link:
Fungi need sugar to create their preferable acidic environment. They create this environment by releasing chemicals that trick the body into thinking blood sugar is low, causing intense carb cravings.
The patient is likely to suffer from fatigue and brain fog in addition to the intense food cravings; and will be tempted to eat sugary / high-carb foods that promote yeast growth - resulting in a vicious circle of cravings and binges. This can only be resolved by removing any food items from the environment and replacing them with healthy snacks that will help decrease appetite and resolve the yeast infection, as well as introducing food items that help balance internal yeast.
- More on Weight Control
- Recommended Foods & Beverages::
- all green veggies
- raw tomatoes
- all protein, except pork
- organic eggs
- coconut oil - please refer below for more information)
- organic olive oil
- almonds and nuts, except peanuts
- almond butter
- garlic: The allicin in garlic is a well-known anti-fungal that kills candida.
- unsweetened almond milk
- Kefir - a top yeast killer, unsweetened
- green tea and peppermint tea
- plenty of water
- caffeine, coffee
- all dairy poducts
- sugar and flour
- peanuts (Avianweb note: Peanuts are often contaminated with aflatoxin, a fungal toxin. Aflatoxin is carcinogenic and causes liver damage in animals and humans. Roasting reduces aflatoxin but does not eliminate it entirely. Especially peanuts with dark spots on them should be considered suspect, but even those that look clean and perfect could possibly be contaminated.)
- onions can irritate the intestines - especially of those suffering from leaky gut syndrome. However, many can tolerate onions fine and if onions are eaten RAW, they do offer important health benefits because of their antibacterial / antiviral and antifungal properties
- all dressings and ketchup mustard mayo, etc.
- Stay away from antibiotics
- Prevent new yeast from forming by taking a probiotic supplement containing acidophilus and bifidum. These probiotic strains release anti-fungal enzymes and alkalinize the body, so candida can't fourish .
- Useful supplements include berberine, garlic, oregano, undecylenic acid, and plant tannins.
- Spices: According to a recent research study, regularly consuming cinnamon, cumin, oregano, rosemary, sage or thyme can reduce internal candida by 61 percent in two weeks.
- Coconut Oil: Research that shows the medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil kill candida yeast. Caprylic acid is one of the fatty acids found in coconutoil that has been used for quite some time in fighting candida yeast infections.
The late William Crook, M.D., the author of The Yeast Connection books reported that many physicians have used caprylic acid successfully for yeast infections and that it works especially well for those patients who have adverse reactions to antifungal drugs.
Besides caprylic acid, two other medium chain fatty acids found in coconut oil have been found to kill Candida albicans. A study done at the University of Iceland showed "capric acid, a 10-carbon saturatedfatty acid, causes the fastest and most effective killing of all three strains of Candida albicans tested, leaving the cytoplasm disorganized and shrunken because of a disrupted or disintegrated plasma membrane. Lauric acid, a 12-carbon saturated fatty acid, was the most active at lower concentrations andafter a longer incubation time." This study shows great promise that all the medium chain fatty acids in coconut oil work together to kill Candida albicans.
Another study was done in Nigeria in 2007, in the Department of Medical Microbiology & Parasitology, University College Hospital, Ibadan, Nigeria. The purpose of the study: "The emergence of antimicrobial resistance, coupled with the availability of fewer antifungal agents with fungicidal actions, prompted this present study to characterize Candida species in our environment and determine the effectiveness of virgin coconut oil as an antifungal agent on these species."
Their conclusion: "It is noteworthy that coconut oil was active against species of Candida at 100% concentration compared to fluconazole. Coconut oil should be used in the treatment of fungal infections in view of emerging drug-resistant Candida species."
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Acidic pH Balance Will Discourage Bacteria, Yeast & Fungal Growth: Apple cider vinegar destroys microorganisms, including bacteria, fungi, viruses and others, and prevents poisons from reaching the rest of the systems of the body. It has been proven to inhibit the growth of gram-negative bacilli, Pseudomonas, and Candida. The acid nature of vinegar makes the digestive tract environment unpleasant for germs and fungus.
Apple cider vinegar has proven to be a natural treatment (and preventative) in simple cases of avian pediatric digestive disorders. Dr. Jarvis through his own research believes that apple cider vinegar will lower bloods natural alkalinity, bringing it closer to a natural healthy acid state. A naturally acidic digestive tract digestive, with the correct pH balance, will discourage bacteria and is less likely to grow yeast and fungus. Apple cider vinegar can assist the natural process of breaking food in the stomach. The acidic qualities of ACV will help break down protein, in the digestive system, for absorption into the bloodstream.
Common prescriptions include:
- Nystatin, Diflucan or Sporanox, which may need to be taken for a month or more to get rid of the yeast.
Vaginal Yeast Infections
Add 2 capfuls of 3% hydrogen peroxide in warm distilled water once to twice a week to remove even chronic yeast infections.
Please note: Trichomoniasis is on the rise. Since symptoms, like discharge and itchiness, resemble those of a yeast infection, many doctors fail to screen for this condition. This can result in pelvic inflammatory disease, if untreated. Women who suffer from stubborn infections or experience yellow or green discharge should be tested for trichomoniasis, which is generally curable with an oral prescrition (Source: David A Baker, M.D. Director - Division of Infectious Diseases, Stony Brook University).
Information contained on this website is provided as general reference only. For application to specific circumstances, professional advice should be sought.
GreenAndHealthy.Info strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information; however, mistakes do happen. If you would like to correct or update any of the information, please send us an e-mail. THANK YOU!