Simple Steps to Preserve Water
Other tips to conserve and save ...
- Promptly repair leaky faucets. Hot water leaking at a rate of one drip per second can waste up to 1,661 gallons of water in one year—and wastes up to $35 in electricity.
- Use a water filter to purify tap water instead of buying bottled water. Bottled water is expensive and generates large amounts of container waste. Carry a reusable water bottle with you when out and about.
- Take shorter showers to lower your water and heati ng bills.
- Install a low-flow showerhead. They are inexpensive and easy to install. Every Home Depot has them.
- Install faucet aerators on each faucet. These gadges are also available at your local home improvement store - they will conserve heat and water, while keeping water pressure high.
- Plant drought-tolerant native plants in your garden. Native plants are disease resistant and require minimal watering. Visit your local nursery to find out which plants are native and drought resistant.