Bookmarks on this page:
A study at the University of Tennessee recently rated methyl mercury among the most dangerous poisons on Earth (second only to plutonium). Mercury poisoning is the most common heavy metal problem. Published research demonstrates that mercury is more toxic than lead, cadmium or arsenic. Even more worrisome is that mercury is a CUMULATIVE heavy metal poison. Over time it will accumulate in our bodies and can damage the central nervous system and other organs or organ systems, such as the liver or gastrointestinal tract.
Mercury poisoning is the most common heavy metal problem.
Curiously, the government warns that compact fluorescent lights pose a real health hazard to women and children due to their mercury content. However, they deem mercury in dental fillings and vaccines safe, which doesn't make sense.
Sources for mercury exposure:
No amount of exposure to mercury vapor can be considered safe - especially considering its cumulative effect. It vaporizes easily at room temperature, and in this state, is odorless, colorless and tasteless.
Most medical and scientific researchers have called for a ban on the use of mercury in all products.
Mercury can adversely affect the immune, urinary, cardiac, respiratory and digestive systems, and is suspected to have involvement in the development of Alzheimers disease and other neurological diseases, as well as cancer, autoimmune diseases, allergies, Candida overgrowth and multiple sclerosis. It is difficult to diagnose because the symptoms vary so much from person to person.
The World Health Organization has concluded that dental fillings contribute more mercury to a person's body than all other sources of mercury combined.
There is strong evidence that mercury lowers T-Cell counts - increasing cancer incidence. In fact, several studies showed mercuric chloride increased several types of tumors in rats and mice, and methyl mercury caused kidney tumors in male mice. The EPA has determined that mercuric chloride and methyl mercury are possible human carcinogens. Mercury also has an affinity for brain tissue and is implicated in brain tumors and dementia.
Mercury cuts the oxygen carrying capacity of blood by half - resulting in chronic fatigue.
Brain tissue has an attraction for heavy metals such as lead, mercury, cadmium, and others. When heavy metals appear in the brain they can interfere with your natural brain chemistry. This interference, overtime, can accelerate the onset of dementia or Alzheimer's.
The University of Calgary (Canada) Faculty of Medicine have produced a video showing how mercury can actually alter the structure of developing neurons in the brain. The video showing this fascinating process can be accessed via the following link: http://commons.ucalgary.ca/mercury/)
Multiple Sclerosis / MS:
A study undertaken in Great Britain reports that the highest incidence of Multiple Sclerosis is found in Northern Ireland as well as the Scottish Island of Orkeny and Shetland. These are the areas with the highest incidence of dental cavities and dental fillings, raising more suspicion that mercury is a possible link to autoimmune dysfunction.
- Memory loss / dementia / Alzheimer's Disease & Mental Disturbance
- Impaired immune system: Mercury reduces the number of T-cells and reduces activity in the immune system - please refer to: Is Mercury Toxicity an Autoimmune Disorder?
- Sensory impairment (vision, hearing, speech), disturbed sensation and a lack of coordination.
- Impairment of the peripheral vision
- Disturbances in sensations ("pins and needles" feelings, numbness) usually in the hands feet and sometimes around the mouth
- Lack of coordination of movements, such as writing
- Impairment of speech, hearing, walking
- Muscle weakness
- Skin rashes
- Mood swing
- Birth defects: In 2002, the National Academy of Sciences found strong evidence for the toxicity of methyl mercury to children's developing brains, even at low levels of exposure. A recent study from the Centers for Disease Controls found that as many as 637,233 American children are born each year with mercury levels of more than 5.8 µg/L (5.8 micrograms per liter), the level associated with brain damage and loss of IQ
Symptoms of ACUTE Heavy Metal Toxicity:
- "Brain Fog" / Difficulty Concentrating
- Sudden, severe cramping and/or convulsions
- Difficulty breathing
- Impaired cognitive, motor and language skills
GreenAndHealthy.Info strives to maintain accurate and up-to-date information; however, mistakes do happen. If you would like to correct or update any of the information, please send us an e-mail. THANK YOU!